4.13.2009

Happy Chair

Today's project: bring new life to an old chair. Last year when I started getting pieces together for my space/studio/office here in the basement, I found a stool at the D.I. that I brought home, sanded, and made mobile with casters. As much as I love my stool, and even though the super-soft cushion is the perfect color of green vinyl to go with my space, I'm going to have to retire it. (By retire, I mean I'll probably just pull out the casters that make it the perfect height and use it as a spare chair...because I just can't part with it.) Mike has told me since the beginning that my stool is unsafe and that I'm going to fall off it and hurt myself, and although I personally haven't fallen off it, I've witnessed just about every other person who has sat on it either tip and almost fall, or completely fall off the stool. I won't name names, but you know who you are! Here's the stool:

As much as I love it, I love my new chair even more. I was browsing Craig's List the other day and spotted the chair I've been looking for: an old school adjustable counter- or bar-height chair with a footrest and back. Kinda looks like a lab chair or something. Here's the before:


Sorry for the tiny pic. I always forget to take the before pic before I start working. So you have the Craig's List pic followed by a pic after I disassembled the chair. It was an icky brown colored vinyl for the cushion and the back, and the metal was a creamy tan/beige color. Not the best. Mike thought I made him stop to pick up a piece of junk, but took it back when he saw what a couple cans of spray paint, a yard of fabric, and a couple of hours can do. Let me just say that Rustoleum spray paint is super awesome. I LOVE this fabric! Matches my decor of white, green, stainless steel, and light wood to a tee, not to mention my retro-ish details I've added around the room. Green makes me happy!

3 comments:

Maria said...

I want that chair...and while I'm at it I want your whole craft/art room!! very sWeEt! btw, I'm glad you're back to blogging!

Cherie Dick said...

That's a fabulous chair, great pick on the fabric! you've got a lot to teach me leah :D fun to read your updates

dan and laura said...

so cute leah!! now i won't be one of those that falls off it...again :) you are so creative. hope to see you soon :) much love